Environmental Education

IIM Ahmedabad News letter

Posted by Susan Sharma on October 11, 2012

Forum Post
My article which appeared in the Newsletter of IIM, Ahmedabad.  The article is based on our Community , IndianWildlifeclub.com.  You can read it online at the link
http://www.iimahd.ernet.in/egov/ifip/jul2012/sharma.htm

Wildlife

India Wildlife

Posted by Gajanan Bapat on September 25, 2012

Forum Post
Indian Forest

Anthropomorphism

Wild Life

Posted by Jasoprakas Debdas on September 08, 2012

Forum Post

Bio-Diversity

Mangarbani

Posted by Susan Sharma on September 05, 2012

Forum Post

Read the interesting piece about Mangarbani at the link
http://forbesindia.com/printcontent/32350

.... The spry-at-78 Arthur F. Bentley professor of political science at Indiana University, however, backs Mangar villagers and conservationists because she does believe in the durability of traditional community-based models of preserving and judiciously using common resources such as water, fisheries and forests. ......

Ostrom’s research is particularly important for India which is struggling to manage its commons, be it forests or water. Flashpoints are becoming frequent as demands of a burgeoning population and its development needs put pressure on common property. The 600-acre Mangarbani, for instance, falls within Faridabad’s new 20-year development plan that would allow construction and other projects in eco-sensitive areas. But what they fail to grasp is that the forests are crucial to the maintenance of an ecosystem that helps recharge the aquifers beneath the Aravalli hills. ......

Bio-Diversity

Mangarbani Virgin Forest, Gurgaon

Posted by Susan Sharma on September 01, 2012

Forum Post

5km to the side of Gurgaon -Faridabad four lane road, driving through a thick forest of Vilayati Kekar trees interpersed with construction sites, you enter Mangarbani village (wrongly spelt Manger at the direction board on the main road).

The Art and Craft Hotel raises a few eyebrows just before we enter the village.  Builders are already in possession of Dream plans to convert the ancient village of Mangarbani into a "Tourist Paradise", the Hotel is probably waiting for those Dreams to take wings.

Entrance to Mangarbani

At this sleepy village of about 300 hamlets we ask our way to the Bani.  As we reach Bani, the three soldiers from Mangarbani village who started the fight to save Mangarbani against seemingly odd barriers,  greet us.  We, a few friends who learnt about Mangarbani through the film "The Lost Forest",  had decided to devote the Sunday Morning to see the forest for ourselves. 

"Heavenly'" " So cool'" "Longest tailed peacock" "Beautiful bird sounds"  remarks kept coming as we walked. The residents pitched in with their knowledge of the Bani.  The first and last rule of the Bani " Do not pluck or cut anything from the Bani.  If you graze your animals inside, you raise the wrath of  Gudanya Baba  whose Samadhi in a cave is worshipped by the villagers.

Broken Kadamb branch-Remove it at your peril!

Here is an excerpt from the magazine "Down To Earth"

---What sets the Bani apart from the surrounding vegetation is that 95 per cent of it comprises a slow growing tree called Dhau (Anogeissus pendula). The tree has a unique feature. If it is nibbled by cattle, it spreads out on the ground or over rocks like thick prostrate undergrowth. If left undisturbed, it grows into a middle-sized tree. The 13-meter-tall dhaus in Mangar Bani testify to the forest’s antiquity, points out Pradip Krishen, the author of Trees of Delhi. ......

Sacred grove of Dhau trees seen from temple top

We saw Desi papri trees, Vat  and Dhok trees , Seetaphal trees and Kadamb trees which were fruiting and Dhau, the endemic tree of the area which were sprouting all over after the rains.

Fruit of Kadamb tree

Sweet fruit of Seeta Phal tree

Dhau sprouting through rocks

Take the Dhau outside Mangarbani and they refuse to grow.  The Dhau is believed to be one large organism in Managrbani which propagates through root grown saplings only.  Untouched by the British ( The British never discovered this village tucked away in the interior, according to locals) and the Forest Department, Vilayati Keekar is absent in the village.  No bougainvillas and no lantana bushes are seen anywhere.      The Forest has remained natural as it was 3000 years ago.  A Natural Museum worth presrving for the next generation!

Under the shade of ancient trees

Mangarbani, a serene forest

Besides the Bani being the Preserve of fauna and flora endemic to the Aravalis (probably the only patch in Rajasthan-Haryana-Delhi, where Aravalis have survived in their original glory), this unspoilt forest is most likely responsible for water recharging and safeguarding water veins underground.  Destroy this vegetation cover, build on it and we could end up blocking/destroying any number of water veins under those impenetrable rock-systems.  

Gurgaon and Faridabad have seen Surajkund, Badkhal and Dumdama lakes disappear within the last 25-30 years, once vegetation in Aravalis was destroyed and hilllsides dug up for minerals/stones for construction and/or levelled for putting up buildings. The ban by the Supreme Court on all mining cant restore those water bodies, they are gone for ever.

Will the Gurgaon-Faridabad-Delhi residents let the unspoilt Aravalis in and around Manger Bani disappear? They could be destroying the most important water-recharge System/Preserve that could have sustained the coming generations by providing much needed elixir of life 'WATER'

SAVE THE ARAVALIS THAT WE STILL HAVE------REHABILITATING THEM MAY BE BEYOND ALL OF US. AFTER ALL THESE MOUNTAINS TOOK MILLIONS OF YEARS TO BECOME OUR BENEFICIARIES------

Listen to the young men from Mangarbani making an appeal

Little Known Destinations

HOLIDAYS AT BAROT IN HIMACHAL PRADESH NEAR KANGRA

Posted by Major Sunil Kumar, SM on August 12, 2012

Forum Post
ONE PLACE WHERE YOU ALWAYS FOUND YOURSELF WITH A CUTOFF FROM YOUR CELLPHONES, COMMUNICATION, AND YOU ARE NOT APPROACHABLE UNLESS YOU WANT YOURSELF TO DRIVE OUT YOURSELF 23 KMS AWAY FROM THE LOCATION TO LOCATE YOURSELF THROUGH MOB SIGNAL TOWER. THERE ARE QUITE A GOOD GUEST ROOMS OF FISHERY DEPARTMENTS, ELECTRICITY BOARDS AND THERE IS NO HOTEL SYSTEM.....WHAT PEOPLE CALL THERE IS SWEET HOME CONCEPT. THE BUILDING IS 4 TO 5 STORY AND IN THE GROUND FLOOR THE OWNER HAS MADE HIS LITTLE SHOP TO PROVIDE YOU THE LITTLE EATS WITH LITTLE AMOUNT OF OVER PRICE....AND THE ROOMS ARE RS 200/- TO 300/- PER DAY NO BEDDING REQUIRED, JUST YOUR OWN CLOTHS TO WEAR..... IN BAROT ITS A TROUT FISHING FARMING PLACE AND PEOPLE WEAR WARM SWEATER 24X7 365 DAYS.... SO YOU CAN IMAGINE... YOU GET FISHING ANGLES TO SPEND TIME AND THABAS THERE FOR YOU TO EAT YOUR MEALS....IF YOU THINK YOU CAN EXPLORE THAT AND WANT TO GO.....FEEL FREE TO CONTACT ME .....i AM NOT AN AGENT I AM JUST A TRAVELER LIKE YOU AND WANT MORE PEOPLE TO KNOW AND LIVE THE MOMENT IN LIFE...i WILL TRY TO POST THE PICS ALSO IN CASE YOU WANNA ASK ME ... WITH LEAVING LITTLE OR MORE QUERY IN YOUR MIND .....TAKE CARE ....WARM REGARDS....MAJ SUNIL KUMAR.

Green Jobs

Which would be much better: IFS or M.Sc in wildlife Biology

Posted by Amith Jain on August 12, 2012

Forum Post
Respected Sir/Madam,

I've finished my engineering in biotechnology with 66% aggregate and 2012 pass-out. 
In recent years while pursuing my engineering i gained interest in conserving the nature, specifically the wild species and all the wild environment. I was just searching any particular jobs in this field, but could hardly find any, and even volunteering options were less, and those which i found had no proper follow up. 
Now in last month, I started my search again, I've tried in several places like WRRC, WWF, CWS, SOS, ATREE for volunteering and got a call from one or two. I had to reject because I was running short of money to travel till there and also couldn't make up to other expenses. Can you tell some place which gives a volunteering opportunity with just a little stipend that could cover up my travel expenses in bangalore.
I desperately want to enter into this field and make my career in this field. But my parents say its of no use and income is low and other stuffs, Is the Income really that much low?
I've tried all possible ways to convince them. Can you help me with some other ideas to convince them.?And
I've come across IFS and M.Sc in wildlife Biology, I wanted to know which would be a better option to continue with, and what is the future scope of either of the field or both.

Green Jobs

Volunteers for 'NEWS'

Posted by Susan Sharma on August 11, 2012

Forum Post
Given below is an invitation for Volunteers from http://www.naturewildlife.org/

Inviting Volunteers for Internship Oppurtunity

Nature Environment & Wildlife Society (NEWS) are looking for active students for internship programme in our organization for 1/3/6 months. We would be requiring students with background from Sociology for livelihood and awareness programme, and Zoology, Botany and Environmental Science students for biodiversity programme.Students are required to have a good knowledge in Bengali (read, write and speak), English and should be computer literate.Certificates will be provided to the students at the end of the programme. The activities will stretch over:

* Intense field work
                 * Two three day outstation visit per week, ( if any)
                 * Scientific data collection, analysis, management
              * Community outreach activities
                 * Report writing and documentation
                 * Students are expected to visit office daily

Students would be paid a stipend of Rs 1000 per month and all the field expenses will be taken care of by NEWS. Each student would require a permission letter from there institution (either from their Principal or from the authorized head of their respective department)

TO apply please send your recommendation letter and your CV at :

Nature Environment & Wildlife Society
    Email: news_kolkata@yahoo.co.in
    10 Chowringhee Terrace
    Kolkata-700020
    Ph. 033-22234148

Environment Awareness

Invasive species in Western Ghats Rivers threatens the endemic aquatic fauna

Posted by Harikrishnanbhaskaran on July 19, 2012

Forum Post
Western Ghats, the ancient mountain range in the southern India which is older than Himalayas is a new entrant to the league of Word Heritage sites for its rich biodiversity. However, new studies show that incidence of foreign type of organisms in these riverine environments is a main hazard for this World Heritage site. These non-native organisms introduced in the rivers of Western Ghats for agricultural purposes or as biological controllers, are gradually wiping away organisms found in these rivers, according to certain research outcomes.

Plants like Eichhornia crassipes and Pistia stratiotes serve as good examples of alien plants in these rivers. Similarly, Salvinia molesta, Hydrilla and Ipomea fistulosa were first introduced as ornamental plants in aquariums but later became major weeds in these rivers. They cover the water surface, often increasing the rate of sedimentation. They also hinder the daylight which is essential for the underwater plants for photosynthesis. Mikania macarantha, is a similar plant now threatening biodiversity in the area. It forms a thick layer over the river surface and the connected riparian forest, blocking the sunlight. 

Exotic fishes add one more name to the list of foreign organisms causing threat to innate organisms in the Western Ghats Rivers. Introduced to control mosquito and diseases caused by them, these aquatic organisms have turned out to be enemies in course of time. Gambusia affinis, was widely introduced as a biological agent to control mosquitos. But now they have entered Western Ghats streams, raising stiff competition for resources with native species, wiping away them locally. This is dangerous when for the endemic fishes in Western Ghats Rivers

Clarias gariepinus, was brought in by farmers who wanted a fast growing fish which eats up everything including waste from slaughter houses, to increase fish production. But the fish known for its ability to survive in drastic conditions has turned out to be a serious threat to native species of fishes and other organisms when invaded main stream rivers.

Unlike other threats which destruct a river ecosystem, foreign species and the extent of the damage caused by them are often invisible for the naked eye for a long time if detailed research is not being carried out.  So the current studies show that there is a need to conduct more in-depth studies and take up conservation efforts to help the world heritage site from degrading further.there is also an urgent need for the government to formulate and implement a policy for the management of the invasive species in India. 

Environmental Education

Foundr President CHAATAK NATURE CONSERVATION SOCIETY, VARANGAON, Dist-Jalgaon(Maharashtra) India ·

Posted by anil mahajan on July 17, 2012

Forum Post
Posted by anil mahajan on July 17, 2012

ORDNANCE FACTORY VARANGAON

CHAATAK NATURE CLUB – A co-curricular activity with a mission. As a co-curricular activity,it offers opportunities to learn to develop skills to enjoy and care for nature.
  1. To promote interest and knowledge about the natural resources and the environment among the emerging generation.   
  2. To help young people experience the wonder of the nature and wilderness areas.
  3. To create awareness about environment friendly lifestyles.   
  4. To encourage conservation activities like Tree Planting, adapting exercises like Role plays, Jungle Walk, Bird Slide Show, Bird watching, Trekking and publishing magazines.  
  5. To undertake activities to nature and help the environment regenerate through activities like wild life photography, ornithology, trekking rock climbing getting close to nature through various programs like nature conservation music, nature games along with forest walks in night and nature trails during the day.
  6. To organize study tours and camps.
  7. To aware farmers about co-relation between agriculture and animals, birds, inspects
  8. To execute tree plantation in rural and urban areas. Arrange environmental awareness programs such as multipurpose development of forest resources and conservation of forest eco system and awareness of eco tourism.  
  9. To organize various programs for farmers, pulps wholesome that is mental intellectual social economical, physical, cultural, scientific etc. development and specially try to implement principles as embodies in the Indian constitution.  
  10. To form a society for ecotourism and agriculture centre without any political part.
  11. To organise environmental awareness, such as related to air, water soil, and pollution.  
  12. To undertake watershed activities in drought effected area.
  13. To restore the green cover by massive plantation in order to meet fuel and fodder to fulfil the need of the village itself.
  14. To organize group discussion seminar exhibition, competition and lecture services for farmers.

Thanks

With regards
Anil Mahajan 08806198040
Founder President

Foundr President CHAATAK NATURE CONSERVATION SOCIETY, VARANGAON, Dist-Jalgaon(Maharashtra) India ·