nature/wildlife films

Survey on 24 Hour Channel

Posted by Mithun on September 04, 2005

Forum Post

A survey was conducted in the year 2003 by the Consortium for Educational Communication (CEC) for their 24 hour Higher Education Channel.

Out of 481 sample students whose responses have been tabulated, more than 75% students preferred programmes with a focused approach to widen their horizons; India’s place in World Heritage, Nature related issues and People of India are subjects close to their heart. 90% of the students surveyed wanted programmes on contemporary issues with a window to the world.

Young India views itself as a global citizen! A very positive development indeed.

Environment Awareness

Let us share what we know and think!!!!

Posted by Mithun on September 04, 2005

Forum Post

A community approach to looking at conservation problems fosters an ability to consider sustainability issues from the view of different stakeholders.

"Awareness" happens through sharing of information.

A common claim about group settings is that they foster an effective combination of learning with understanding and are therefore likely to support conceptual change. Environment concerns pervade all activities in the adult world. We need to broaden our concept of Environmental awareness to include the general public- the adult population who are in charge of the planet right now. The process by which experiences are shared through collective action and reflection both builds a community and defines it.

Unwillingness to share, especially difficult and controversial aspects of one’s work, tendency to follow the leader, tendency to arrive at a consensus by covering up intriguing layers of disagreement-these are some of the issues which plague healthy debates in conferences and even in face to face discussions.

WE HAVE TO SEE differences of opinion as a resource rather than a liability. Criticisms and disagreements as a source of learning and enrichment.

Interlinking of Rivers

The American Experience

Posted by Susan Sharma on September 03, 2005

Forum Post

The delta of the Colorado river basin has shrunk to 5% of its historic size thanks to intensive river diversions that have spelt a death knell to the people, flora and fauna of the region.

Since 1960, the river has reached the sea only during rare flood years, more usually ending just south of the US border in a few stagnant pools of pesticide and salt- laced agricultural runoff. Due to intensive irrigation in desert lands, waters have become extremely saline.

A $256 million desalination plant was set up at Yuma, Arizona to desalinate the water in 1992. It was shut down in 1993 after floods destroyed drains and brought in saline water. The Bureau of Reclamation’s ‘salinity control program’ had cost tax-payers $660 million by 1993.

An $8 billion plan has been passed in California to revive some of its rivers. ( source: The Environmental Magazine)

Interlinking of Rivers

The Russian experience

Posted by Susan Sharma on September 03, 2005

Forum Post
The Aral Sea of Russia is a large inland sea. Already, the Amudarya and Syrdarya, which once had combined flows greater than that of the Nile, have been largely emptied by massive irrigation projects to grow the cotton. As the rivers died, so has the Aral Sea into which they drain. It has lost three-quarters of its water since 1960, leaving former ports up to 150 kilometres from the receding shoreline, and a salty wilderness where the sea used to be. Russian scientists are reviving an old Soviet plan to divert some of Siberia's mightiest rivers to the parched former Soviet republics of central Asia.

Wildlife

Man elephant conflict

Posted by Susan Sharma on August 30, 2005

Forum Post

It is well known that some parts of Jharkhand State in India face the threat of elephant attacks, especially in the night.

The people of these regions spend their nights on machans on trees to get some sleep. Recently, a documentary film maker, who was in this area was asked by the people of this area whether he can help them find a

"laser light"

to ward off the elephants at night. Does anyone know where these lights can be procured?

community reserves

Tiger Task Force

Posted by Susan Sharma on August 05, 2005

Forum Post

The Tiger Task Force has submitted its report. The report brings out some glaring facts.

"In the last 30 years, only 80-odd villages have been relocated from all 28 reserves. There are another 1,500 existing inside, of which 250 are within core areas of tiger reserves, which must be relocated. Relocating them will cost Rs 660 crore at the minimum, in terms of the meager relocation package government works with today, and without accounting for land costs. If this is taken into account, then the estimated cost is Rs 11,000 crore.

What is suggested is a time-bound programme to identify those villages that must be relocated because of they are located inside crucial tiger habitats. It is also suggested that, unlike the past, this relocation must be done speedily and sensitively, with careful consideration of the needs of people."

The chair person also says that if we do not make peace with the communities who share the tigers’ home, we will lose the war of conservation tiger by tiger. Identifying the cause for a crisis situation is certainly the first step towards a solution.

Let us think solutions now! How can we have the communities become stakeholders in tourism for example? Any suggestions?

General

Rare Leoprd

Posted by Raghavendra Rao on July 08, 2005

Forum Post
Leopards are normally yellowish or mustard colored with black rosettes as markings.But in Mysore Zoo there is a leopard which is light yellowish gold color with brown rosettes.There are black panthers too, but this one with brown rosettes ans pinkish lips and nose is a rarity.I have photographed the leopard.

Man Animal Conflict

Man-Elephant Conflict

Posted by Susan Sharma on July 02, 2005

Forum Post

Ankur had sent an email to us seeking help to implement his ideas. We thought throwing open the subject in our open blog forum will bring in some valuable comments.

You can also contact Ankur at his email id damdim.estate@sify.com.

Man Animal Conflict

Man Elephant Conflict

Posted by Ankur Chaturvedi on July 02, 2005

Forum Post

Hi!

I am an Executive with a multi national Tea Company posted in the plantations. My estate is at the forefrunt of Man-Elephant conflict. Wild heards regularly stray into human habitation causing damage to life and property. The local popyulation and even the forest department resort to very cruel means to drive away the elephants.

I believe that this problem is related to the enfringment of humans into the habitat of elephants and not the oter way round.

I have devised methods to control the wild heards and even loners without cousing any harm to the animals. Unfortunately I am not getting a positive response from either the Authorities or the local population to test and implement my proposals.

I shall be obliged for your assistance in the subject.

Regards
Ankur Chaturvedi
Sr Assistant Manager
Tata Tea Ltd.
Dam Dim Tea Estate
PO- Dam Dim Jalpaiguri
WB- 735209
Phone- 03562-221305(O) 03562-221294(R) +919434184843(MOB)

nature/wildlife films

The mangroves off Thane Creek

Posted by Oliver Pinto on May 17, 2005

Forum Post

Could someone tell me about the kind of flora and fauna there is around the area covered by mangroves around the Thane Creek? The area I refer to is that which can be seen as one passes by in a local train on the central line. It begins after Dombivli and stretches from there up to the Mumbra Parsik Tunnel.

Has anyone ever surveyed the area or documented the wildlife and plant life therein? This area has been diminishing rapidly over the last few years and 'development' seems to be happening here. I hope we don't lose this beautiful stretch to 'development'.

Thanks, Oliver