Forum > Man Animal Conflict > Project Leopard

Posted by Susan Sharma on April 10, 2018

Has Rajasthan found an answer to man-leopard conflict?  On a visit to Jhalana Forest Reserve near Jaipur, I was impressed by the efforts of the Forest Department to keep the leopards, numbering about 20, within the Reserve by ensuring adequate water and prey base.

Watch this video I made during the visit on 30th and 31st March 2018.

Jhalana Forest Reserve-Where Leopard is King
Share this post:

Post your Comment

Ronish Baxter says

April 11, 2018 at 01:04 AM

That is certainly something which needs to be undertaken by every forest reserve so that animals don't stray outside the forest to settlements.

Susan Sharma says

April 11, 2018 at 07:40 AM

Thank you Ronish for your comment

SUNIT JAIN says

April 11, 2018 at 08:44 AM

Great work I m also agree with that,leopard is king of aravali.??

Gaurav Dixit says

April 12, 2018 at 03:00 AM

Thanks for the update but I strongly disagree about the implementation of adequate measures and wildlife norms before the leopards and hyenas were introduced in the jhalana forest area. With only 5 feet, partly broken wall, surrounding the area, completely inadequate prey base (most leopards survived feeding on livestock) and lack of water ponds, we cant blame predators roaming outside the confined area.
Moreover its proximity with the human settlements required following more strict measures but the ignorance of government and forest department has been a disappointment. Until recently, as it became a prime focus for government to gain from ever growing tourism industry, that they decided to built a bigger wall.

Gaurav Dixit says

April 12, 2018 at 03:13 AM

Thanks for the update Susan, although I strongly disagree about the implementations of wildlife norms and adequate measures by the forest department before introducing leopards and hyenas in Jhalana forest area. With only 4~5 feet, partially broken, wall and no fencing, inadequate prey base (most leopards survived feeding over livestock) and miscalculated count of carnivores, causing range overlapping. All these factors are responsible for a leopard to stray outside the confined area. We cant blame them for following their instincts to stay alive, but these increasing human-wildlife encounters are resulting more grave for leopards than for the already unaware humans.

Susan Sharma says

April 12, 2018 at 06:51 AM

Thank you Sunit and Gaurav for your comments.
I am glad the film has generated a debate on the new Reserve.

Satyam parichha says

July 19, 2018 at 12:41 AM

Really appreciate your work.I just got this email forwared from my friend.He forwarded me because he knows that I am an animal lover.
Love your work.

Satyam parichha says

July 19, 2018 at 12:41 AM

Really appreciate your work.I just got this email forwared from my friend.He forwarded me because he knows that I am an animal lover.
Love your work.

Susan Sharma says

July 19, 2018 at 02:57 AM

Thank you Satyam for the encouraging comment

Download IWC Android app     IWC Android app

Copyright © 2001 - 2024 Indian Wildlife Club. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use

Website developed and managed by Alok Kaushik