Travel

Kakadu National Park, Australia

Posted by himanshu joshi on April 20, 2013

Forum Post

Kakadu National Park is a World Heritage-listed site located in the Northern Territory of Australia, around 250 kilometres east of Darwin. Spread in an area of about 19,800 km2, the park is located within the Alligator Rivers Region of the Northern Territory of Australia. The gigantic park is as big as the size of Slovenia, about one-third the size of Tasmania, or about half the size of Switzerland. This biggest national park of Australia has much to offer: you will find here lush rainforest and rock art galleries as ancient as 50,000 years old, rugged escarpments. Love Birds! the place is for you as you can witness millions of migratory birds amongst the wetlands. Interested in wildlife and enchanted by nature’s beauty! the place shall exhibit you prehistoric crocodiles, delicate waterlilies, beautiful cascades, and thundering waterfalls. Also, you can learn about Aboriginal culture from traditional owners the Bininj/Mungguy people.

Best time to visit Kakadu : All year round except rainy season as some roads are unpassable then. Kakadu changes dramatically with the seasons.

Activities to do in Kakadu : Learn about Aboriginal art, explore rare and ancient flora and fauna, partake in adventure sports.

For more info and Video, visit-

http://musetheplace.com/kakadu-national-park-australia/

Interlinking of Rivers

Ganga-down to Earth

Posted by Dr.Susan Sharma on April 18, 2013

Forum Post
............."The games started. IIT-Roorkee, represented by its Alternative Hydro
Energy Centre, disputed our conclusions. We asked why? No data was
provided on the method of estimation. But hidden in the background
sheets provided by IIT-Roorkee was data from two projects of
hydrological flow used to disprove our figures. We checked. We found to
our shock that figures of flow had been modified; suddenly there was no
water in the river in the first place, so a higher e-flow regime would
naturally mean lower energy generation. We checked again. We found that
even levelised tariff figures had been “changed” from what was provided
earlier to the committee.".....

http://www.downtoearth.org.in/content/training-engineers-not-ganga

Nature Trails

Butterfly Park

Posted by Dr A P singh on April 01, 2013

Forum Post
I am compiling lists of butterflies of North India,Sate-wise - Delhi, Haryana, Punjab, J & K and Himachal along with LHP (Larval Host Plants) and Nectar Plants. Anybody having schedule of Plants to be planted for attracting Butterflies and to retain them through generations, please share. You can also e-mail me @ apsingh_60@yahoo.co.in. Credits will be shared

Any other

Central Zoo Authority (CZA) has asked the Jamsaheb of erstwhile princely state of Jamnagar, who privately owns and maintains Sir Peter Scott Nature Park, to spare wild animals for other zoos in the country.

Posted by Prashant Vaishnav on March 18, 2013

Forum Post
o

JAMNAGAR: Central Zoo Authority (CZA) has asked the Jamsaheb of erstwhile princely state of Jamnagar, who privately owns and maintains Sir Peter Scott Nature Park, to spare wild animals for other zoos in the country.

The CZA officials have asked various zoos across the country to spare their surplus animals for other zoos to facilitate an exchange programme. The CZA's website said the nature park in Jamnagar has several surplus animals, including 121 blackbucks, 200 spotted deer, 215 nilgai, four great Indian hornbills, five lesser whistling teals along with one albino, white pelican, nukta, west African crowned crane and marsh crocodile each.

The present Jamsaheb Shatru Shalyasinhji said there is an ambiguity about when and how the CZA will take away all these animals.

He said he has nurtured all these wild creatures with utmost care and it is sad to be parted from them.

"It is not clear who will bear the cost of the upkeep of these animals till they are distributed," he said.

Environmental Education

BNHS Flamingo Festival (2013) attracts thousands of visitors!

Posted by Susan Sharma on March 17, 2013

Forum Post

The Sea of Pink   ( Read full article at http://www.bnhs.org/component/content/article.html?id=963)

Right next to the Arabian Sea was a Sea of Pink with nearly 15,000 Lesser and Greater Flamingo spread out on the mudflats foraging for food. In the background were the thick mangroves stretching up to Trombay and the oil refineries and power plants in Mahul in sharp contrast with the pink tide. The graceful movements of thousands of flamingos with their long elegant bodies, especially when flying in unison, were a mesmerizing sight. Apart from flamingos, it was also a good occasion to see other species of resident and migratory birds including herons, egrets, ibises, gulls, terns, plovers, sandpipers and kingfishers. Kids and grown-ups alike were making a beeline to click photos of the birds as well as their own photos with the flamingo statue kept at the venue!

Nature Heals

Select a tree wisely on March 21

Posted by Susan Sharma on March 16, 2013

Forum Post
21st of March is celebrated as International Day of Forests.*

Before planting a tree in your neighbourhood,  why not understand more about local trees which will grow well in your area?

At  http://www.wildscapes.net/product-details.aspx?prdId=11 we are offering a CD called "Grow Natives".  Buy the CD online and select a plant/tree to grow in your backyard or neighbourhood.  

Here is more information about the CD

The CD contains information about 300 native plants along with their photographs. CD provides the feature to get ready plant lists suitable to an area by selecting district and taluka. There are nine categories of the uses for easy selection, namely, Landscaping, Medicinal, Timber, NTFP, Roadside plantations, Religious plants, Hedges, Ecological restoration and Rare and uncommon plants.

CD also includes information about Nakshtra Plants, Mangroves & Plants common to India.

It will be useful for those interested in plants and also architects, planners, developers, nurserymen, land developers & landscape contractors.

*The United Nations General assembly has proclaimed 21 March the International Day of Forests. From 2013, the day will be observed each year to celebrate and raise awareness of the importance of forests and trees to all life on earth.

Anthropomorphism

LIVING with SNAKES

Posted by Vattam Adithya on March 11, 2013

Forum Post

IVattam Adithya from Bellary, Karnataka State, and administrator in indiansnakes.org& a snake rescuer since 15 years, have rescued more than 6500 odd snakes& released them into safe habitats. I have conducted many awarenessprogrammes on snakes to general public & school children reliving theirminds of the many myths about snakes. Now I have started a program called LIVING with SNAKES. Some of you mightbe perplexed by the context. Instead of rescuing non-venomous like Rat snakes,red sand boa’s, trinket snake, Green vine snake, Wolf snake from humanhabitats, we plan to leave them where they are. This might sound ridiculous andstupid but we have got results by explaining the people about the advantage ofhaving these snakes in their surroundings.

A week back I rescued an 8 foot rat snake froma rice mill and later asked the mill owner weather I can come back to the millwith the snake & explain the advantageous of having a snake like this inhis mill. He was silent for a moment and then asked me to come over. The verynext day I was there, all the 30 odd workers gathered around me & I startedexplaining the facts & advantageous of the snake. That it is a non venomoussnake, it eats more than 400 rats per year & easy to handle I even showedthem how to identify the snake by showing them some key features about thespecies, one of them came forward & asked me weather he too can handle thesnake I said it’s absolutely safe. He right away took the snake into his hands,later all the 30 odd workers there started handling the snake. There werepresent the Mill owner & his children they too enjoyed handling the snake.

After sometime I put forth the ideaof releasing the snake in their mill & to my astonishment everyone agreedto my plan took the snake in their hands & released it into stakes ofpaddy. We now want to spread this idea across, to all the other mills in ourplace & hopefully across India.

They too have the right to livealong side us like all other animals like dogs, pigs, cattle, cats &monkeys. These animals are also potentially dangerous & spread diseases butstill we live harmoniously alongside them. Snakes don’t spread any diseases &we can live alongside some species of snakes. They seldom attack people. Theyonly strike or bite when threatened or cornered when they have no place to fleeor else the first thing the snake does on sight of a human is flee.      

Travel

Kamakshi Tours

Posted by kundal roy on March 10, 2013

Forum Post

Kamakshi Tours providing comprehensive and professionally effective service at minimum cost to the customer, using and utilizing the best available resources and technology. Also to nurture a work culture and environment internally and externally that promotes total commitment and growth, thus becoming the largest and the most reliable Travel Organization in the region setting standards in the industry for professionalism and reliability to the customer.

Kamakshi Tours offering reliable & highly professional services which make your journey a pleasant & memorable experience. Our services include complete travel arrangements e.g. Hotel booking, tour planning, air ticketing, train reservations, cultural activities, wildlife safari and a lot. Being a leading tour operator of Northeast India, providing all kind of travel and tourism information, guide, services for every Indian tourist destination.

Finding the right travel agent to help you plan your vacation can make the difference between a "just OK" vacation and one that you'll remember for years. We have a passion for travel and enjoy working with our clients to make their vacation planning go as smoothly as possible.

Our team is a group of qualified and enthusiastic tour operators and guides who will be alongside with you in your travel to India. We make every effort to provide the guests a real and rich holiday experience. We offer a complete travel management, in other words everything from planning to execution of tours.

Our travel consultants are friendly, professional, and experienced in accommodating both the seasoned traveler and those new to the world of travel. We pride ourselves in customer satisfaction. A large percentage of our bookings are from repeat clientele while much of our new business is from word of mouth recommendations.

Snakes

Snakes of West Bengal

Posted by Shibajee Mitra on March 08, 2013

Forum Post
This is a blog to create and generate awareness on snakes of west bengal.

Bird Sanctuaries

My recent visit to Morni Forest Area

Posted by salil sharma on February 27, 2013

Forum Post
Visited Morni Hills, DistrictPanchkula, Haryana this sunday. Already famous for its varied flora and fauna,Morni is infact a tiny village located on the foothill-zone of the shivaliks. Ametalled road connects morni with panchkula for a distance of about 20kms., onmajor district road 118 and is 3000 ft. above the mean sea level. morni hillshave two water bodies, small agricultural tracts and presence of river ghaggar.The reserved forest limit starts just as we take a turn towards morni from nadasahib, a gurudwara. a check post has been put up by the forest department, butfound it not operating on sunday. vehicular traffic, leading to a lot of noisekeeps the wild life at bay. i was amused to notice atlest 10 vehicles passingevery 10 minutes, with no limit to the speed and constant honking. as weentered the forest area we could find few monkeys and langoors on the road sideprobably just because of the feeding by passers by.

Moving a little ahead we heardthe chirping of some birds and stopped to notice what it was? with muchdifficulty, because of the vehicles moving constantly, we noticed a tree fullof berries on which some birds were sitting. to our surprise it was the white -eared bulbul. Also known as Himalayan Bulbul and white cheeked bulbul,a scarce resident in Haryana. The bird is found in wooded areas like mornihills and kalesar forests. Its local name is kushandra or bhooroo as told by a farmer locally

so many of them fluttering from one tree toanother managing what little they could eat, scared of the noise. we stoodlifeless for around 10 to 15 min.

So that they come to the berry treeon the road side where we were waiting for them to be clicked. after they werepretty sure we were not a threat to them they started coming one after theother giving us a chance to click them.

We moved ahead searching for somemore birds. There was a group of some off road bikers enjoying driving on theturns of the hills. We found a red startsitting quietly on the branch of a tree at village mandana, the largest villagein morni hills. We managed to click.

Little ahead we found the red whiskered bulbul also known as red vented bulbul, the singerbird of India. It probably looks like a musician with a turban on the top ofthe head-the crest. It has  a long tailand feeds on fruits, nectar and insects.

Morni has varied flora likebabul, kikar, bamboo, khair, amaltas, jamun trees are commonly seen on loweraltitude. As we move higher the type of vegetation changes to pines and chirtrees and temperature also falls suddenly. From mandana, the view of the plains is breathtaking.  The ghaggar river separates the tipra rangefrom morni hills. From the T-point we can turn back to chandimandir and alsotowards pinjore through thapli which also boasts of a famous nature camp.