Nature Heals

i am very interested in thistype of activity.

Posted by mayur on October 21, 2013

Forum Post
hi i am mayur jariwala.

i just join wild life because i love wild life and nature.

Bio-Diversity

Save the gene pool - " I want to change the world - Nothing is Impossible "

Posted by Arvind Kumar S. Shukla on September 28, 2013

Forum Post
Save The Gene Pool - " I want to change the world - Nothing is Impossible "

Emerging from the Gene Pool : Experience Life

A large gene pool indicates high genetic diversity, increased chances of biological fitness, and survival. A small gene pool indicates low genetic diversity, reduced chances of acquiring biological fitness, and increased possibility of extinction. 

Gene pool increases when mutation occurs and survives. Gene pool decreases when the population size is significantly reduced (e.g. famine, genetic disease, etc.). Some of the consequences when gene pool is small are low fertility, and increased probability of acquiring genetic diseases and deformities. 

Gene pool gives an idea of the number of genes, the variety of genes and the type of genes existing in a population. It can be used to help determine gene frequencies or the ratio between different types of genes in a population.

Eco-tour

Tribal Camp @ pench tiger reserve MP

Posted by sandeep on September 21, 2013

Forum Post
This camp spells true to its nature and gives the ultimate feel of being with the nature ... the wooden machaans and the decks behind each room overlooking the forest is awesome.. to feel the place log on to www.penchtribalcamp.com

Wildlife

dear, ...

Posted by Augwin Deepak on September 19, 2013

Forum Post
some of my photography
in Tamil Nadu, udumalpet near

Wildlife

LIFE YOU LOVE

Posted by Nithilan Paul on September 17, 2013

Forum Post
A topnotch WordPress.com site

Love for wildlife

The most important factors that makes the very existence of mankind on earth possible and enchanting, are the life forms surrounding us. We share this planet with numerous plants and animals but we seldom find time to cherish the beauty of them. Everyone must at some time, take a break from what they do for a living and live with nature, with all her wonderful creatures.

I would like to share some of my experiences, photographs of creatures of such beauty and elegance that we find around us. According to me, it is not necessary for people to take a long and expensive vacation to get a taste of this world. Instead, these can be observed around us, next to where we live… at our native village.. at our workplace etc.

Hence please do read and express your opinions and share your experiences with me.

Love for little creatures

Dear readers,

How many of you would agree with my opinion that, of all the creatures, reptiles (lizards, snakes, etc,.) and insects are highly detested and most of the times, killed for no apparent reason by humans. We are not aware of the chaos that will follow as a result of uncontrolled destruction of these life forms. Lower life forms such as insects,reptiles and amphibians  (eg :frogs, toads,.etc) form the very foundation of nature’s food chain and as a matter of fact, they are the core of life’s existence on earth.

These creatures such as snakes, lizards etc,. are not vicious killers as they are pictured or feared to be. But on the other way, they help us by keeping in check the population of pests.

Here I write about one such creature…  the SAND BOA. These snakes are found in India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and in parts of African continents.

- Photo by Nithilan Paul.

This particular snake in absolutely non-poisonous and harmless. It lives on small animals like rats, mice, moles, lizards, frogs and insects. It constricts the prey and swallows the prey. This snake helps in controlling rat population and other pests, hence a friend of farmers. But the sad part is that these snakes are often mistaken as poisonous and killed. These snakes also deserve the right to live and they must not be harmed. People who are ignorant about snakes must be educated about the role of snakes in the eco-system.

So dear readers, whenever you come across snakes about to be harmed, please do act to conserve them and preserve the eco-system.

Pest control agency of nature        …

Most of us are familiar with garden lizards. Unlike the ones that we find on our walls, these creatures live mostly in the trees. They eat up insects such as grass hoppers and worms that destroy crops thereby acting as natural pest controlling agents. These creatures are well adapted to different environments and they vary accordingly.

Below is the photograph of a Green Forest Lizard, found at a farm. These lizards are completely harmless. They are non-poisonous and they can never harm a human being. It is observed that they may display a threatening stance when they are cornered which is only for self-defense, but generally they avoid human contact.

- Photo by Nithilan Paul.

In the below photograph, a Green forest lizard, found in a warehouse being safely returned to the wild.                                                                 

Yet another species, commonly found in the forests and surrounding areas is the Rock Agama. These are similar to the Green forest lizard but for a slight difference in thier habitat. These creatures live in bushes, scrub forests and on rocks. They can tolerate high temperatures and though they have some threatening tatoos on them, they never harm humans!!!

A male Rock Agama, devouring a beetle, found on the outskirts of forest in South India.

-Photo by Nithilan Paul.

These creatures does not need human intervention for their survival, but only their absence. By conserving their habitat i.e,. trees and scrubs, these life  forms can be protected.                                

-Photo by Nithilan Paul.

(A female rock agama.)

Sometimes folks, it is good to stop by and look at a beautifully coloured reptile perched on a stone where we go for a walk. The more we observe them, the less we detest or ignore them. This simple attitude helps a lot in the conservation of these species.

Water striders / Pond skaters

-Photo by Nithilan Paul.

The above photograph was at a pond nearby. How many of us have ever noticed these little creatures found on lakes and ponds, skating on the water? These insects use their long legs upto twice their size to move and navigate on water surface. They use the high surface tension of water to literally walk on them!!
Surprisingly, these are predators that kill and eat small insects that fall on water like fly, bees, etc, But friends, they are harmless to humans and they certainly help in balancing the Eco-system and of course, Pest control.

-Nithilan Paul.

General

Dedicated to Rani (White Indian desi dog)

Posted by smita harwani on September 06, 2013

Forum Post

Itsnot easy to forget the helpless eyes of that innocent baby. Even in herchildhood stage she had understood & digested the mindset and frigidity ofthe so called humans. She doesn't have a mum but the people around her love andcare for her.

Buttoday when I saw her, she was alone with one foot badly and cruelly hurt. Herbone was visible through her swelled foot. Poor thing I thought. Even afterthis tragedy there was an element of contentment in her eyes. I am amazed how shecould be so much in peace. I couldn't see her state and busted out,immediately complaining god. I don’t know why but somewhere I found myself tobe responsible for her sufferings. She taught me a big lesson of life.

Shewas there on road – Alone – In Pain – Badly hurt – Hungry – Weak – full of dirtAnd I have a house – Quilt – Bed – Food – luxury – People around me – My mum –Friends – EVERYTHING…!!! WHY THIS INDIFFERENCE…??

Iam sure if I was in her state I would have quit long before. I don’t know aboutthe thing that is making her intention to live so strong but I lost myself toher. She is strong & tough; I tried to feed her with biscuits. She couldhardly eat them because blood was flowing out from her mouth, I don’t know howshe managed. But…. How could she understand so soon that it is uselesscomplaining… !!!

Sheis carrying so many things in herself, yet holds calmness on the face as if shealready had an experience of entire life time. She is so young yet so mature…

National Parks

kaziranga

Posted by sunny singh bhatti on August 28, 2013

Forum Post
hey there people I would like to share a trip report about Wildospher its a adventure tour organizer. I went with these guys and what an experience these guys actually showed me kaziranga Tiger in some remote area of the forest I must say they know the forest pretty well beautiful birds all around they took me so close that I can click my pictures from any angle same with the rhinos aswell Wildospher is the best I recommend u people to go with them they even do the untouched forest neora national park I been with them even there they made me do a foot safari and i saw marble cat clouded leopard and leopard while I was on a foot safari these guys are blessed I must say. the experience and the hospitality is just great, there are many more things that they offer for a adventure outdoors rafting is again one of there specialty. contact then on there mail sunny.globeib@gmail.com or facebook page www.facebook.com/wildospher .get in touch with them for some stunning experience for adventure. 

Little Known Destinations

Badoli temple and parajhar (Rawatbhata, Raj.)

Posted by Pratap Singh on August 21, 2013

Forum Post

The Baroli Temples Complex, also known as the Badoli temples, is located in Baroli village in Rawatbhata taluk in Kota district in Rajasthan, India.
They are built in the Pratihara style of temple architecture dated to the tenth century A.D.

Parajhar is a nearby waterfall. The underground water flowing in caves has carved statues and figures on the stones in the cave. Many people have died due to accidents near the waterfall. It is near to village called Parajhar gaon. This place is also known for historic cave-temple of Lord Shiv. During Mahashivratri a large festival is organised here. water-fall and green surrounding is the attraction for peoples.

In the way we also saw Vulture birds .

See Vulture birds image

See All Trip images

Books

Vikram Aditya Adventure Series

Posted by Susan Sharma on July 27, 2013

Forum Post
All the eight books of Deepak Dalal (VikramAditya Adventure books) are now available at 

http://www.wildscapes.net/category-details.aspx?catId=6

Order them online.  The books are set in National Parks and Protected areas of India.  The author is an informed nature traveler who educates while telling the stories.  I enjoyed travelling with him to the distant places where the adventures of a group of teens whom you identify with as the boy or girl next door,  kept me enthralled.

Biofuels, Alternate energy

Preparation of Biomass Briquettes for Gasification

Posted by Jishu Kinkar Medhi on July 22, 2013

Forum Post

Steps for briquette formation

·        Collectionof biomass in required quantity

·        Eliminationof any unwanted stuffs from the biomass and subsequently making it free fromany dirt and soil

·        Grindingthe biomass into fine particles

·        Passingthe biomass through sieve to eliminate large chunks of biomass that might bepresent in it

·        Preparationof slurry by mixing the biomass with binder and water

·        Mouldingof briquettes in small size from the prepared slurry

·        Dryingof briquettes

Procedure

The first step for briquetteformation is the preparation of slurry. Slurry is the mixture of biomass withbinder and water. For making the slurry, a fixed quantity of binder is firstmixed with water and made into a sticky paste. The amount of water added shouldjust be enough to make it a paste. After that, the biomass particles must beadded to it in required quantity following which the ingredients are thoroughlymixed to make the slurry.

The slurry thus formed must now bemoulded into briquettes while it is still soft. Moulding of briquettes may bedone in two ways – either by hand or by machine. In our case, briquettes weremoulded by hand only.

The briquettes thus prepared are verysoft and wet at the beginning and capable of deformation due to the highmoisture content. Therefore they are required to be kept in the open or underthe sun to dry. Generally they are kept for about 2 weeks in the sun to dry offand become hard and solid. While drying, it is important to take care that thebriquettes are not subjected to any kind of interference or otherwise be tamperedwith which might spoil the briquettes.